Friday, June 10, 2011

My Top Ten Songs Of All Time (This Half Hour's Version)


About a year ago, Rolling Stone came out with a special issue listing the top 500 songs of all time, according to them. Of course everyone knows such an undertaking is absurd yet endlessly fascinating. Naturally, I turned the whole thing into an epic project: I amassed all 500, tracking down the couple dozen I didn't already possess, and started putting them on CDs for a couple friends of mine. Tomorrow I'll see them again, so tonight I burned up vols. 16-20, encompassing songs 315-407. Among the many travesties in the list I noticed, this one struck me the hardest: The Who's "I Can't Explain" came in at #380; Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" came in at #362. Let alone "I Can't Explain" not placing in the top 100, how it falls below, 18 spots!, "Tears In Heaven" I'll never be able to comprehend, let alone, well, explain. But, admittedly, compiling such a list is tough tough tough. As an experiment, then, a few minutes ago I just started listing my all-time favorite songs, cutting myself off at what I thought was ten (I've never claimed mathematical geniusosity, or ever tried to rein in my love for music). So, after writing down my spur of the moment favorites, I quickly assigned numbers to them. By the time I post this, the list could/would change drastically, though I'm sure five or six would remain always (not necessarily this list's top five or six). Anyway, for what it's worth (nothing), here's my top ten favorite songs this half hour. I can't really explain the list, but I do know my number thirteen will kick most of your top tens any day.

  1. Sweet Thing--Van Morrison
  2. Apple Suckling Tree--Bob Dylan and The Band
  3. Eight Miles High--Husker Du
  4. Favorite Thing--The Replacements
  5. Cyprus Avenue--Van Morrison
  6. Lo and Behold!--Bob Dylan and The Band
  7. Kiss--Prince
  8. Where Have All The Good Times Gone--The Kinks
  9. Ambulance Blues--Neil Young
  10. Rocks Off--The Rolling Stones
  11. Hey Hey What Can I Do--Led Zeppelin
  12. Carey--Joni Mitchell
  13. Enchanted Pork Fist--Meat Puppets

No comments:

Post a Comment