Sunday, September 6, 2009

Skinny Little Boy From Cleveland, Ohio


Yeah, once upon a time, that was me. But today I had the good fortune to do a little time-traveling back to those carefree days. By a series of strange coincidences, I recently re-connected with an old, old friend, Geoff. We were great pals back around the time we were seven or so, but hadn't seen or spoken to each other in about thirty-five years. I guess that's a nice thing about aging, you can say to someone, "I haven't seen you in thirty-five years," and it feels great.

Anyway, this morning Geoff and I had a nice re-acquainting round of golf at the course where way back when we used to go swimming and pick blackberries. Well, Geoff had a nice round--his best of the year; mine was rather erratic, but I'll chalk that up to all the good memories spinning through my head and messing with my swing thoughts.

Among a few near-miss opportunities over the years--turns out I used to work with his step-sister--we discovered we attended the same Alex Bevan concert at University School back in 1977. Well, if you're from around Cleveland, mention of the name Alex Bevan immediately makes you start singing, "I'm a skinny little boy from Cleveland, Ohio, come to chase your women and drink your beer..." And that's just what we did--sing, not chase and drink. A fine song. And an especially apt one for time-traveling. Couldn't find the original version (who's got a CD or mp3 of it?), so these latter-day live versions will have to do.

Anyway, great time. So my Sunday piece of advice is, pick up the phone, or better yet, a pen and some paper, and re-connect. The gray hairs and beer guts won't get in the way much.



Alex Bevan-Skinny (Live)

No comments:

Post a Comment