Saturday, May 1, 2010

Derby Dan


My head's in Cleveland today (as if it isn't always) but my heart's in Louisville, Kentucky. From 1984-98 I attended the Kentucky Derby for fifteen straight years, a few years after my grandfather stopped his yearly pigrimage there. I'm proud to say my niece is there today for her third straight, keeping the family tradition allive.

Over the years some of my best friends made the trek with me, tightening the grip the sports world's two most exciting minutes has on my heart. From overnight rides to and from the track, morning mint juleps and evening countings up the winnings (1987-Alysheba, 1990-Unbridled, 1994-Go for Gin--three wonderful steads that made me momentarily rich), to strange guys shouting "Party Party Party" at all hours of the night, cold dawns waiting in line, and days spent roaming the infield with a cheap camera looking to document the Dorks of the Derby, all the memories are great. One year I'll return. As for today, though, I'll be watching and betting at one of my favorite fellow Derby-goers Doug's house, a party I've attended twice and walked out with the winnings both times; here's hoping the streak continues.

Based on nothing but my sheer gut (see above, '87, '90, '94 for a decent track record), I'm picking Paddy O'Prado to shock the field and come home with the roses this year. You heard it here first. Party Party Party!

The Duhks-Camptown Races

No comments:

Post a Comment