Thursday, May 3, 2012

Prayers Of Thanksgiving


On a superficial level, I find it kind of superfluous that today is the National Day of Prayer. The facts that my beloved Cleveland Indians are in sole possession of first place in the AL Central this late in the season (I thought they'd be about 8 1/2 games out by now) and that there is no snow in the foreseeable forecast pretty much confirm to me the power of prayer and make me feel a little greedy asking for more. Add to this the "wow, could it really be, this is some real news" announcement a day or two ago that Newt Gingrich is dropping out of the presidential race--thank God, my prayers were answered on that one (maybe Newt can get back to writing his alternate history books; here's an idea, Newt: you won the 2012 presidential race but before you could even accept congratulations, your head swelled that extra centimeter and finally exploded; although with this new Tupac-inspired hologram technology, something tells me trend-happy Newt will be running for president in perpetuity).

But anyway, I do believe in prayer, and think it's nice that we have a National Day for it. It's a little bit of a temptation, what with the National Day of Prayer occurring always on the first Thursday of May, which often--as this year--precedes the first Saturday of May, not to spend all one's prayers on getting a divine tip for the Kentucky Derby (this humble tout picks Creative Cause; you heard it here first, folks). But even though we dedicate a full day in November to giving thanks, I think we should spend this National Day of Prayer in thanks, too. Thanks that we as a nation still survive despite all the naysayers and nabobs of gloom. More directly, I thank any and all readers of this irregular nonsensical blog. And thank you GOP primary voters.

No comments:

Post a Comment