Friday, May 20, 2011

Be A Rock Swami For A Good Cause


A few times in the past I've mentioned a great site, Rock Town Hall. It's a place to argue/debate, opine about all sorts of rock music personalities, arcana, sacred and not-so sacred cows. The site is run by two friends of mine from college, Mr. Moderator and Sammy Maudlin. Unfortunately, a few months ago Sammy suffered a serious head injury. He is recovering nicely, but he and his family still face some significant medical bills. Mr. Moderator has been organizing some benefits for him, and now has come up with a great idea for everybody everywhere to help out. Read more about and enter the contest here, but in a nutshell, contestants are being asked to predict an artist/song that will be played during a regular 20 minute "Classic Rock Block" on a given "Classic Rock" station the night of June 4th. Each prediction costs a buck; if you predict correctly, you win the 50/50 raffle. So, to test your classic rock wisdom and to help out a good friend, I encourage you to take a few minutes and spend a few bucks.

Now in my Kentucky Derby going days, I handicapped a few races to profitable results, so I'm going to try my hand here. I'm giving away these ten picks FREE, and I will not enter them on my own, but I guarantee you at least one of these tunes will be played during those 20 minutes on June 4th. So, spend a few bucks on these picks, and I'm sure you'll win your money back, and then some. I'm so sure I'm right I'll even stay away from the gimmees, classic rock's Big Three, The Beatles, The Stones, and Zeppelin. Thanks.
  • The Who--Won't Get Fooled Again
  • Moody Blues--Nights in White Satin
  • Tom Petty et al.--Refugee
  • The Doors-- Riders on the Storm
  • Steppenwolf--Magic Carpet Ride
  • The Eagles--Hotel California
  • David Bowie--Rebel Rebel
  • Lou Reed--Walk On the Wild Side
  • Jimi Hendrix--All along the Watchtower
  • The Kinks--Lola

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for spreading the word - and for your 10 free picks!

    ReplyDelete