Monday, May 30, 2011

Paying Attention To The Men And Women Behind The Curtain


You know a blog as far-reaching and, well, as big as this one doesn't get blogged by itself (hence, I guess, the dearth of posts lately in my busy life). No, it takes a small-office village to blog idiotic. So, while I get all the accolades, in truth there are a few dozen people whose collective talents, wisdom, and hard labor make spitoutyourgum what it is. In the spirit of the holiday, then, (though thankfully they are all still with us), I'd like to remember and give shout outs to all the good folks toiling behind the scenes who make this blog possible.

Upper Management Guy Guy "Bigger" Thomas keeps the whole shebang humming with his Post-Its and stern reprimands (ow, my wrist). If you ever read this, Guy, I'll wear a tie to work for a week straight. And yes, you can consider this "in writing."

Leslie Huggams, Office Manager: With your saucy wit, your paper clips, coffee machine upkeep, and obsessive shoulder punches, you make the workplace a veritable Currier & Ives environment. May your daughter find happiness in her fourth marriage and your beloved Pug 'Nacious chew up all your furniture for years to come.

Troy Cadd: Is there a more anal "in a good way" Accounts Debatable person working in the media today? I can't imagine. My money's on eHarmony finally working its magic for you this summer, man.

Perpetual Intern Suzzsyie Caloric: Love the new tat, girl.

IT Boy Channing "Circuits" Power: You do that spritz thing on my keyboard bi-weekly; you Windex my screen fortnightly; and on demand you do that voodoo thing with my on/off switch whenever things get haywiringly SNAFUish: where would this blog be without you, kid? Buck up, there'll be a whisker to shave in due time.

Waste Management Aficionado Tony. You're correct, Tony. We don't really need to know your last name. We just need to thank you for the air fresheners, your mastery of the plunger, and your effervescent aroma. Just how do you keep that Cadillac so shiny, though? No, that's a rhetorical question meant as a compliment; no need to answer.

Ever since I was a lad and watched the 1976 Democratic National Convention "gavel to gavel," I have been infatuated with sign language interpreters. And for the past twelve years I have been fortunate enough to have Sookie Triplett at my side accompanying me on all my travels and trysts to provide precise sign language for all my interpersonal interactions in the event that anyone in the vicinity is audio challenged. Sookie, you're simply the best. Hey, sign this! (Inside joke).

Larry Fine, Fact Checker: The fact that we have no staff attorney is proof that your work speaks for itself, Mr. Fine. Fine job as always.

Staff: God knows what all twenty-five or so of you do but rest assured no one does it better, individually or in teams or collectively. I swear, really this time, to attach names to faces and have it all memorized by this year's xmas party. And, sure, I'll look into the asbestos situation and see if we can't trim the sick day call-offs a bit. You mean the world to me.

And so, the lesson is, no blogger is an island. He/she's more of an atoll with a lot of washed up (not in a negative way) flotsam and even some jetsam helping to sustain his fragile ego ecosystem. Thank you all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment