Thursday, October 1, 2009

Create/Destroy



I spent a good deal of my afternoon today destroying. And it feels pretty good. At work we were delivered a couple tables, packed in large, wooden crates. Getting the tables out of the crates wasn't too much work, but then I had to dis-assemble, i.e., destroy, the crates. My hammer was flying like John Henry's, as I thumped, pried, and mangled the wood and nails and metal bands and staples. A great aggression depleter. Then I came home and mowed the lawn. After all the rain we've had, not only was the grass long and thick, but huge sprouts of mushrooms had grown in clumps all over the lawn. I hate mushrooms, so I was unforgiving: grinding them with the mower, savagely raking them with a heavy-duty metal rake, and even kicking the damn upstarts. I'm tired now, but very relaxed.

Makes me think about how much time we spend in our lives either creating/preparing or destroying/consuming. And such a fine line between the two so often. I think of the thousands of English papers I've graded in my life. I'd like to think all my time, thought, and magic-markering were in the service of creating better writers. My students might come down on the destruction side of things when considering the scribbled-all-over papers I handed back. I don't cook much, but isn't that a balancing act of creating and destroying, let alone consuming? There is a time for everything...fair needs foul...blah blah blah. I wonder what a well-kept chart for a month or two or even a year, recording all of my creating and all of my destroying, would reveal. But I'm not that organized. Now I just feel like consuming a beer, destroying its container, and creating a little peace of mind. Cheers.

Michael Hurley-I Paint a Design

Freedy Johnston-Tearing Down This Place

No comments:

Post a Comment