Wednesday, December 2, 2009

15% Of One, 60% Of The Other


Well, looks like I'm back to bashing the numbers guys. The estimable Times of London recently came out with its lists of the best and worst books of the decade. Considering myself a pretty literate guy, of course I perused the lists, abacus by my side, to tote up just how up-to-date well-read I've been the last ten years. I mean really, one does not read such lists to be inspired but to gloat, doesn't one? The one or two sentence descriptions of each book aren't enough to persuade me to pick up a book I've already chosen not to spend my time on, but the mere mention of a book I've read feels like another notch on my garish intellectual belt. Naturally I'm sure you agree with me that one of the top three or four reasons to read is to up one's snob quotient (you're reading spitoutyourgum, aren't you?). So imagine my disdain when I discovered that while I had read fully 15% (respectably snobby, I think, without going overboard into the realm of the pedant) of the decade's best books (per The Times snobs), I had also read a whopping 60% of the worst books. Egads.

But hold on, keep that cursor right here. The 'best" list contains 100 books, the "worst" merely 5. So in real numbers, my best to worst ratio is 15 to 3. What's even crazier is that one book, The DaVinci Code, made both lists! So, throwing that fluke out, I stand at 14-2. Beat that, I say. Come to think of it, as I remember reading Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code, I kept mumbling to myself, "Good God, what awful writing," as I kept turning the pages. The man might write like crap, but he sure can write the shit out of the crap, to coin a phrase. So I guess a spot on both lists is warranted.

All arrogance aside, though, I was delighted to see David Mitchell's epic Cloud Atlas on the best list. Without a doubt the most fun I had reading a book in the last ten years was when I read this large, inter-connected, funny, moving, thought-provoking, intricate, inventive, narrative juggling act. Make it through the first 25 pages or so, which can be slow, but in retrospect are great, then buckle your seat belts for a helluva ride. Among a plethora of great scenes, the book contains undoubtedly the greatest escape from an old folks home scene ever.

So there's my Santa's helper gift to you all: looking for a great book to give to someone who likes a little challenge in his or her reading? Cloud Atlas.

Talking Heads-The Book I Read

No comments:

Post a Comment