Tuesday, December 8, 2009

His Name Was Leon, Or Barlow


The mind moves in weird ways. One minute I was thinking about how I'm getting old, based on the evidence that the most spam I get is from the AARP and that today, unironically, I actually used the phrase, "the proof is in the pudding." Next thing I know my mind is all over the movie Big Bad Love. Didn't see it? Most people didn't, I'm afraid, but it's wonderful. Right now it's my favorite movie of the decade, and seeing that I'm not in the mood to join the blog horde and start listing my favorite movies, CDs, books, etc. of the decade, this spontaneous shout-out to the great Arliss Howard (writer, director, star) will have to suffice for my decade's summing up of the movie scene. In an hour, I might remember another gem I enjoyed as much as this one, but right now I'm sticking with this. It's surreal, dark, funny, twisted--but most of all, pretty genuine. But you'll have to watch it for yourself to decide; the proof is in the viewing.



R.L. Burnside-Everything Is Broken

No comments:

Post a Comment