Tuesday, January 19, 2010

3 Is #1 In My Book (For Clevelanders Only)


After my recent, sincere paean (read the post here) to the unadulterated charms of local WKYC-TV 3 weatherman A.J. Colby garnered the most hits of any of my posts (it's true, and lots of nods in agreement BTW), and another post about parental discretion warnings, I've been thinking about my life-long relationship with the various local TV channels a bit. Although it's been years since I've owned a television myself (try it, it's wonderful), I do get my TV watching in here and there. Sad to say, though, I never received one of those Nielsen TV diaries to keep to do my part in stoking the ratings wars. Upon reflection, though, I can unequivocally state that over the course of forty years of TV viewing in Cleveland, Channel 3 is my favorite. From Wally Kinnan the Weatherman and Jim Granger on sports, through the cutesy Doug and Mona years, and up to the present day with calm A.J. Colby, the station has hands down had the best and most personable on-air talent. What stars: Wayland Boot, Bob Zappe, Tom Ragland, John Harrington, Joe Mosbrook, Del Donahoo, Mark Nolan, Maureen Kyle. The audacity to put Dick Feagler in the anchor's chair. A pre-avuncular-smarmy Leon Bibb with his weekend nights partner Sheryl Browne. The generous attempt to make the great Paul Warfield a TV personality. Connie Dieken (nee Schoppenheimer or something). Hickory Hideout. Does anybody remember Amanda Arnold? I do. The point is, through all the gimmicks, new sets, techno-wizardry, sweeps junk, bad hairstyles, and worse fashion, Channel 3 has always kicked the other local stations in the sheer likeable people category. Outside of Zappe, I'd be happy to have any and all of the above over for dinner. Oh why not, you can come too, Bob.

But I'm perplexed. What does the KYC stand for? The other local stations' call letters are easy: WEWS is, boring! a truncated spelling of news; WOIO is Ohio without the H, which is kind of like going to the Horseshoe in Columbus and not seeing a touchdown or the i dotted--it ain't working, folks; WJW is plainly Just Wacko. But KYC? Know Your Cleveland? Much too insipid to be real. Kill Your Competition? In my book, yes, but perhaps a bit extreme for the good folks there. Knight Your Colby? Certainly, but the call letters have been there longer than A.J.'s been alive, I believe (though A.J. certainly knows to Keep Your Cool). Knead Your Cucumbers? Great kitchen advice, but I doubt it. Knowledge Yields Compassion? Too Brahmin. Kippers, Yorkshire pudding, and Chips? Too British. Knaves, Yobs, and Clods? No, those are my lawyers. I give up. Somebody please tell me what the KYC in WKYC stands for so I can pay them the proper respect for keeping their local news watchable all these years while the competition Kicks, Yells, and Careens.

P.S. My previous post about A.J. had a Massive Attack song. This post has a Massive Attack song. I have no idea about the synergy between Channel 3 and appropriate Massive Attack songs.

Massive Attack-Three

1 comment:

  1. KY-Cleveland, a nod to the old KYW call letters for Channel 3, from 1955-65. Those letters are now in Philadelphia and have been since 1965.

    ReplyDelete