Friday, January 22, 2010

Small Favors



I'm in a tavern toinght, and I have to use the men's room. I go to open the door, and it's locked. No big deal--I stand in the hallway between the men's and women's rooms, do a little dance, and prepare my awkward greeting for when the guy exits (hopefully rather quickly): "Hey man," or some other such warm salutation. Soon the door opens and a young woman walks out. "Eeehhh," I say, a little surprised. "Hi," she chirps back, "sorry, but someone was in the women's room." "No problem," I say as I enter the men's room. When you gotta go, you gotta go, no problem at all. I set up at the urinal and notice the toilet next to me: the water's running and the seat is UP!

That made my day, which was a rather pleasant one all around. When I go back to join my friend, I tell her the story and express how thoughtful that was of the young woman to put the seat back up after using the men's room. I think about all the times I have used a unisex or family's bathroom and how I try to be polite and put the seat back down (mama didn't raise no totally impolite lad). Well, my friend argues that in all probability the young woman never lowered the seat in the first place, that women would rather not touch anything in a public restroom, especially a men's. Well, that little nugget of TMI unsettled me on a couple of levels, so I am choosing to believe the young woman did indeed lower then re-raise the seat out of politeness; such a belief helps me soldier on in good spirits through this cruel world.

Whoever you are, young woman, I thank you.

Sam & Dave-I Thank You

2 comments:

  1. Or, maybe she's just a regular subscriber to transformations (if you know what i'm saying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, and if she is, she's the prettiest of them all.

    ReplyDelete