Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ichabod's iPod, Part 2: Holden Caulfield's Goddam Hits








Although he's been gone a long time, J.D. Salinger is now dead. I thank him for the hours and hours and days of pleasure I had reading and teaching The Catcher in the Rye. It only seems fitting,then, that now (when the old man can't sue me) I reveal to you the ten most-played songs on Holden Caulfield's iPod.

Brother John-The Wild Tchoupitoulas: For his beloved, dead little brother, Allie.

The Little Girl I Once Knew-The Beach Boys: For Jane Gallagher, who kept her kings in the back row, dropped a big tear on the checker board, and, God forbid, went on a date with Stradlater.

Don't Hurt My Little Sister-The Beach Boys: For Phoebe.

Walk Up The Street-The Modern Lovers: A rather autobiographical song for our peripatetic anti-hero who truly has "no place let to go."

I Don't Wanna Grow Up-Tom Waits: "...if you want to know the truth."

Crazy-Pylon: "You're funny and you don't even try."

My Old School-Steely Dan: Well, several, but who's counting?

Crepuscule With Nellie-Thelonious Monk Septet: "If I were a piano player, I'd play it in the goddam closet."

Blueman's Daughter-The Horseflies: If only for those lonely "falling" repetitions.

Growin' Up-Bruce Springsteen: He would never admit to liking a phony like Bruce; nonetheless, he can't get enough of this song.



2 comments:

  1. Thought of you the other day with the Jerome Salinger news. On my way home from work, listening to NPR role out some geeky pseudo- writer reading the part of Holden Caulfield. Not even close.

    Thanks for the free Dan Rourke mixed tape selections.

    Call me 858-342-6811

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I had a Holden (Caulfield, not Annie) moment this morning while walking to the laundromat; I saw a car parked on the sidewalk in front of a building (no odd thing down here), with the words "F*CK SNO" written in snow across the windshield. I amended it to "ROCK FRESNO."

    ReplyDelete