Friday, January 15, 2010

See You Later, Bobby Charles



Another hero is gone. Robert Charles Guidry, better known as Bobby Charles, has died. You may not know him or his music, but you should know a couple of the songs he wrote: "See You Later Alligator" (made famous by Bill Haley and His Comets), "I'm Walking To New Orleans" (Fats Domino), and "(I Don't Know Why I Love You) But I Do" (Clarence "Frogman" Henry). Hard to believe a guy who wrote such big hits more than fifty years ago ("Alligator" was written when he was about 17) was still putting out albums up until the last year or so. His early, self-titled album he made with Rick Danko and assorted other luminaries is one of the great mostly unheard records of all-time.

While the Yankees' pitcher Ron Guidry (no relation that I've ever heard) was known as Louisiana Lightnin', Bobby could have easily been called Louisiana Breeze--he didn't make a whole lot of appearances, but when he did, the results were always delightful. His dry, laid-back voice, with just a hint of his Cajun roots, is one of the most relaxed but soulful voices I have heard. His songs are humorous, heartfelt, and instantly hummable.

My favorite story, maybe apocryphal, is that the legendary founder of the classic blues label Chess, Leonard Chess, signed the young Guidry to a contract over the phone after hearing "Alligator." Chess was surprised upon later meeting his new signee: he assumed Guidry was black. As it was, Guidry, now Charles, was one of the first and few white artists on Chess.

Whatever. I just love the music. And I assume if there is a better place for Bobby than Cajun country, he's there now.

Bobby Charles-I Must Be In A Good Place Now

Bobby Charles-Goin' Fishin'

No comments:

Post a Comment