Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lucille Clifton, RIP


I was saddened when I read the other day that the poet Lucille Clifton died nearly two weeks ago. I discovered her poetry about ten years ago, and I always voraciously read any of her volumes I can find. When I was asked to participate in an African-American Literature Read-In a few years ago, Lucille Clifton was the first writer I thought of to read. Her poems are like poetic shots of whiskey--concise, straight-forward, explosive. She wrote mostly from personal experience, and her poems are deceptively simple, like great prayers. They embrace celebration, perseverance, humor, pain, memory, dignity. When you read her, you feel in the presence of a friend. A wise, tough, compassionate, twinkling friend.

Lucille Clifton-Cruelty

Lucille Clifton-yes Lord, he was born...



No comments:

Post a Comment