Thursday, November 5, 2009

She's The One


Those hipsters over at NPR are having some poll to come up with the 100 greatest singing voices of all time. Piffle. You need context. If you're talking motivational purposes, you can't do much better than Joe Strummer; disdain, John(ny) Lydon(Rotten); grit, Levon Helm. Etcetera.

But let's face it, love, in all its convolutions, is really the only context for adequately assessing a singing voice. And while a few days ago I hailed Smokey Robinson's way with the word "baby," in the totality of love, one voice stands out for me, shoulders, head, and wig above all the rest. Years before the NPR braintrust got its act together, I wrote the following. I'll put it up against any list they or anybody else can concoct.



The Amorous Possibilities of Famous Singers and Musicians




I'll take Marvin Gaye's smooth strut of a voice to rub my back

And Nina Simone's frightful bellow on a late night phone call.

Joni Mitchell's giggle to tickle my feet 'neath the covers

And Leonard Cohen's dry rasp to share the post-cigarette with.

Give me Brian Wilson's falsetto to pet my neck

And Lucinda Williams's twang to rub my thighs through jeans.

I want Charlie Rich's cool despair to whisper in my ear

Captain Beefheart's yawp to neck in the backseat of a dark Buick

Smokey's sweetness to kiss

And Elvis's tender command to cuddle.

For a twilight gambol through knee-high weeds down to some

Deserted beach where we'll spar with seagulls and

Be hypnotized by the sloshing rhythm, I'll hold hands with

Charlie Watts's detached smirk.

Oh, let me swoon in Bob Dylan's hair and meandering vowels

Pant in Van Morrison's scowl

Submit to Roy Orbison's growl

Flirt with Melanie's sing-song

Blind date Rickie Lee Jones's purr

Roll over into Sandy Denny's huskiness

Fondle Sly Stone's jive

Throw an orgy with the Shirelles' corner sass

French kiss Christine McVie's angelic oohs

Nibble on Mimi Farina's high-c's

Waltz in the dark with Tracey Thorn's urbane doom

And be hugged deeply in the arms of Phil and Don's harmonies.



But to make love

To succumb

To merge

Well, there's only one voice.

One voice alone to shed myself in.

Aretha's.
 
George Jackson-Aretha, Sing One For Me

No comments:

Post a Comment